Thursday, December 9, 2010

Constipation

In case you didn't know, opiate based substances make you constipated. I remember back in my small town days when I was strung out on OxyContin, my friends would jokingly refer to the situation as having a gnome that would cruise by, and "boulder up the cave". From my experience, the metaphor of the 'boulder' couldn't be at times truer.
Methadone Hydrochloride, has a bit a similar effect on me (minus the "getting high" aspect of other opioid analgesics). Just recently the constipation was so bad, it felt like I was passing a boulder. Actually, I was kind of scared. The movement felt like it was to big to come out, and I was afraid I would have to go to the emergency room for professional help. Fortunately things never came to that point, but the experience definitely scared the shit out of me (almost literally).
This morning I asked the methadone dispensing nurse if she could recommend anything to help me out. Milk of magnesia, prune juice, and/or lots of fiber were basically the solutions she recommended. Unfortunately none of these sound at all appealing to me.
Since then, I've been munching away at prunes and chugging orange Metamucil like my life depended on it. I can't save I've noticed a drastic change in my colons behavior, but things have been better than they have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment